Skip to main content

Mind the Gap - King's Cross Platform 9 3/4



London. I was so overwhelmed I don't even know where to start. I'd been wanting to go there, to what I consider the Capital of Creativity, for ages. And I wasn't disappointed.



I arrived to Luton Airport and took a train from there to St. Pancras Train Station (£22,50 return). I knew I was staying somewhere close to that station, so I took it as a starting point.


Black cabs and red double-deckers

From there I walked randomly till I got to the British Museum (Free/Donation). I'd heard about it, but I didn't expect to literally find half the world's historic items there!


Qur'an at the British Museum

Just as I started off in the Islamic room, I came across a 700 year old copy of the Qur'an. Then in the main hall a couple of black Egyptian Obelisks and the massive Lion of Knidos from Turkey (200 BC) drew my attention. I also saw numerous statues from Egyptian Pharaohs, many Roman copies of famous Greek sculptures amongst which was Lely's Venus. Finally I went into the mummies room and almost half expecting it, found Cleopatra's.

I got this feeling I can't quite describe, it's merely being in the presence of these representative tangible parts of history; it makes you feel small and big at the same time. You realize your nothingness, and at the same time you are able to look back in centuries, see how different cultures evolved, survived and succumbed. You can kind of understand, visualize a conducting thread. Or at least you think you can.


Back at King's Cross I found my host's place. The house reminded me of a couple of houses I've lived in, aka The Orange and Venom. Those who know what I'm talking about can probably visualize it: an entrance hall and a set of carpeted crooked stairs led to the first floor where there was a spacious kitchen with an overflowing rubbish bin; food, bottles and cans all over the place, although there were no dirty dishes in the sink. The living room was the battle field; cans, dirty plates, mugs, cutlery, empty food wraps, ashtrays, broken chairs, wires, laptops, papers, bags, clothes. My host seemed not to notice all this, I was on holidays and I couldn't care less. The 2nd and 3rd floors were taken by rooms and a huge bathroom.

The weather was perfect so we went to Primrose hill to get a good view from the city and chat while enjoying the sun. It was an amazing place and I don't think I would have even known it existed if it weren't for the fact I was staying with people that live there.


A quick snap while crossing. Royal Guards change at Buckingham Palace

On Tuesday I did The Royal walking tour, the company is New Europe and they have tours in many of Europe's main cities. The tours are free/for tips and the one in London departs from Hyde Park Corner (at the New Zealand War Memorial, just besides the statue of Wellington) from Monday to Friday at 11 O'Clock. The guide was a bubbly American girl. We first went under Wellington's Arch, through Green Park, saw the change of Guards at Buckingham Palace, took a peek at Prince Charles house, got some pictures with a couple of Royal Guards, and then made our way to Big Ben and the Parliament.

Later in the afternoon I met up with a friend from Auckland and we chatted for a little while at a smoothie and ice-cream shop.
That night after having some dinner with my hosts we went out to The Roxy, an Indie-Punk-Rock pub, had a great time, loved the music!


At Saatchi Gallery

On the third day, the sun was still shinning bright in the sky, I already had light tan lines! I went to the Natural History Museum (free/donation), kindda rushed through it because it was packed with elementary school kids. Also did a quick tour at the Victoria and Albert Museum (free/donation), and then just walked around until I came across the Saatchi Gallery (free & totally worth seeing) and after that I made my way to the Thames.

That night I went with my hosts to a BBQ at one of their friends house.


Borought Market.

Already it was the 4th and last day and I still had soooo much to see! In the morning I took the tube to London Bridge (free to cross :P), walked along the Thames until the Towers Bridge (free to cross, but there's a fee to go up to the towers), then went back for a peek and some lunch at the Borought Market, it's an international foods market (Thurs-Sun from 11.30 to 18 hs) and then rushed to and through the Tate of Modern Arts (free/donation).




At 5 I took the train to the airport, happy to have had such lovely 4 days.

Raf

Many thanks to Roma, Gongui and Ryan for hosting me, and to Caro who made the arrangements for my stay with them.




Comments

  1. Increible raf!!
    Al fin conociste Londres!!!! siempre dijiste que querias ir... y lo lograste!! Me alegro qeu haya cubierto tus expectativas.
    Me encanto lo que escribiste, principalmente la descripcion de lo que sentiste estando en el "British Museum"... debe ser impresionante.
    Te quiero mucho sis!!!! te extraƱoooo!!!
    besos
    pau

    pd: lo lograste hacer reir???? jajaja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Increible raf!!
    Siempre dijiste que querias conocer Londres, y lo lograste!!! me alegro que haya cubierto tus expectativas.
    Me encanto lo que escribiste, perincipalmente la descripcion que haces de lo que sentiste en el "British Museum"... debe ser impresionante.
    me alegro mucho que la hayas pasado bien, y que hayas tenido suerte con el clima... te deben haber tocado los 4 dias de sol que hay en el aƱo en londres jajaja.
    te quiero muchos sis!! segui disfrutando!
    Te extraƱoooo!!!
    besos
    pau

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ephemeral Art Museum

If there is one thing to absolutely love about Palermo, it's the amazing quantity and quality of Street Art. This would be a perfect place to have an Ephemeral Art Museum! Raf

A Surf town with no waves

It's a small yet colorful town on the sea-side, cars go by with boards and kayaks on their rooftops. Boys and girls with bleached hair longboard barefooted on the coastal road. There are plenty of surf shops and surf schools around. They built an artificial reef which cost millions of dollars and works only as a home to fish. If you search online, it is tagged as a surf destination. Yet, there are no waves. On a really good day, you are lucky to get a 3 footer. That has only happened once in the past 3 months. It's like a pretend town. It's beautiful, but it's built around something it doesn't have. Hopefully the summer will prove me wrong. I would be really happy to be proven wrong.

Getting Ready

Days until departure: 12 Preparations have started.  I am taking advantage of a lull with my clients and my own bootstrapped projects to focus on making sure I pack everything we need while trying to keep to the absolute basics- an oxymoron in itself.  The goal is to travel with one backpack each and dispatch a duffel bag.  I am the Queen of Lists Where are we taking off to? North of Sweden, in the Gulf of Bothnia (Ever heard of it? Me neither until about 2 months ago). Way up north in the Gulf of Bothnia, see where Oslo is for reference Why that destination? We've been on the lookout for a sailboat for a couple of years. Although we've saved some money, it's on the lower side and not enough to buy a sailboat that meets what we need, so we've been hunting for an opportunity. Those who know us understand that we are quite frugal, so our requirements are pretty basic. We've visited a few boats, but none were right, either because of their price or condition. But now